Japanese Apple blog Macotakara reports that according to an “Asian source,” the name of the rumored iPad mini will indeed be the iPad mini. All Things D says that its sources report an October launch for the mini.
OSXDaily has compiled a list of likely specs for the new device:
- 7.85″ display running at 1024 x 768
- A5X CPU from current iPad 3
- Front and rear cameras
- 8GB base storage and up
- Weight of about half the current iPad 3
- Appearance to resemble a larger iPod touch with thin side bezels, similar to picture shown at top according to 9to5mac
- Ships with iOS 6, which is set for a “Fall” release
- $299 price point
The other morsel in Macotakara’s post was that the October mini release announcement would also include new iPod Touch and iPod Nano models, and that the Nano’s would, for the first time, be WiFi enabled. Macotakara indicates that these, and the mini, are designed to access Apple’s iTunes in the cloud services.